A.P. English

I created this blog for my A.P. English class.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Life of Pi, Part Four

I've finally finished the Life of Pi. It wasn't my favorite book, and it was hard to get into but at least I've finished. I find it hard to enjoy books that start off in such a boring manner. The end was very interesting and surprising. The whole time Martel made me believe that Richard Parker, the hyena, Orange Juice, and the zebra really existed as was his intention. When I found out it was all false, just a rationalization Pi created to maintain sanity, I was certainly intrigued. The Japanese officials were harsh and critical is a demeaning way. It's tough but true that his story involving real people is actually more believable than Pi's imaginary story. Humankind is so harsh and brutal that we are more likely to believe that awful truth than a story involving wild animals. In many ways, Pi became a wild animal to survive and overcome life lost a sea. Overall, Martel is an excellent writer. His diligence to the story is astounding. He spent so much time researching and preparing to make the story seem real. He used incredible detail and write professionally. It's really enjoyable to read a fictional novel and learn more about things you'd never expect to learn without looking them up in a text book. I don't think I'd re-read this book unless forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment